Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Looking To The Future


Following my post a few days ago about my friend and her body modifications, my mom (who reads my blog) asked me 'Well Lily, that's all well and good but what about your son? What will you do if he wants to do that to his body?' I would like to think that I don't mind, but yet when she said it there was a small knot in my stomach. Part of me would never want him to do anything to his perfect little body. Does that make me a hypocrite? I don't think so. I think my initial feeling comes from the fact that right now he is not even a year old! How can I even contemplate him having a tattoo or piercing his eyebrow!

I do like to think that when he gets to the age of 18 that I won't be too bothered. So long as he thinks about it long and hard before taking the plunge and he is doing it for all the right reasons, I don't think I will have too much of a problem with him indulging in a bit of body modification! Who knows how far it will have progressed by then. When he turns 18 it will be 2030! That's pretty darn amazing! When I was born in the early nineteen eighties I never really imagined that by the time I was middle aged I'd be well into the 21st century! It's not something I could have wrapped my head around. I remember at school being asked to draw the house of 2000 and it was all automatic appliances and a parking spot for my rocket car! None of us could really grasp that it was only ten years away, there was just something magical about the year 2000!

Looking around, not that much has changed.. I want my rocket car dammit!

Anyhow, I'm getting way off track here. Once I had established that once my son is older and properly informed I would be cool with his desire to body mod, we got to talking about ear piercing. I had mine done at a year old. I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for it! Yet it's perfectly acceptable in society to pierce a baby's ears as young as a month old. I find it strange. I mean would you give your baby a navel ring? A tattoo? What is the difference.  Papa K writes a great article about this HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment