Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fly Baby Fly!


I've gone and done it! I've booked a vacation for the family. I'm about to become one of THOSE people! You know – the ones with the screaming child on the flight! When I was single, and even married but childless, I always tutted and sighed at little kids on flights. Didn't they know how to shut the kid up? Who goes on hliday with a baby? And all of those other comments we have all made. I'm kind of ashamed really that I was so judgemental. That's just not me usually! But here I am about to tak emy own baby on a 4 hour flight, so I did a little research and put together these top tips for traveling with babies.
  1. Take your car seat. If you are intending to rent a car at youe destination then you are going to need it and you can't predict the quality of those available in another country. We are actually going to buy a seat for the baby and use the car seat on the plane. It is allowed to put children under 2 on your lap, but I feel it is safer to use the car seat.
  2. Use a diaper bag as your carry on. I'll be taking my diaper bag and slipping in a few pieces for me like my book or ipod (in case baby sleeps). I think it will be best not to struggle with baby, a diaper bag and my own carry on!
  3. Early boarding. I checked with the airline and they allow parents to board first with babies and they will take the stroller at the gate and have it waiting when we diembark rather than waiting at baggage claim.
My main concern is his ears popping, but our doctor gave us lots of good advice. He suggests we encourage him to suck his thumb or a pacifier at take off and landing to help his ears pop. He also said that if this isn't usual behaviour then a chewy fruit finger or a sipper cup of water will help with this. He also gave us permission to give a small dose of paracetomol elixr before take off to minimize discomfort. I'm hoping that if we are prepared, he won't become a nuisance to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment