Thursday, July 26, 2012

Will My Tattoo Survive The Pregnancy?

Description unavailable
Description unavailable (Photo credit: Belén ♥)

Do you remember a time, maybe 15 or 20 years ago when it was the fashion to get a tattoo in a ring around your belly button? A load of girls I went to college with got it done, and so did I. We all thought it looked fantastic, and I admit to spending that summer wearing cropped shirts and hipster jeans daily just to show off my new body art – not to mention the diamanté belly piercing! We all thought we were the height of cool, but there was one thing we didn't actually consider. In fact, it never occurred to me until about 17 years later when I got the long awaited BFP (Big Fat Positive) that said I was going to be a Mommy! The very same day I caught sight of my belly in the mirror as I showered and suddenly thought “OH. MY. GOD! What is going to happen to that thing when I grow a bump!” In hindsight, perhaps my navel was not the best place to get a tattoo! I had horrible visions of the tattoo increasing tenfold and being this massive ring around my entire abdomen! Needless to say I jumped online there and then – well I threw on some sweatpants and a t-shirt first – and started to do some research!

The research I did showed that there were no guarantees one way or the other when it came to tattoos stretching during pregnancy. Like so many other aspects of pregnancy, it depends on the individual woman herself. The connective tissues vary from person to person so while one person may see tattoos shrink back to the original design, others may be left with some distortion. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I can't really see any difference in my tattoo aside from the fact that the color has faded, but I'd expect that of any tattoo after almost twenty years. I did take all the precautions for avoiding stretchmarks, so maybe that helped. I guess the moral of my story is that any body modifications should be carefully considered. If you are going to do anything in the belly area do ask if it is possible you might get pregnant and if it will have a negative effect. I took my belly piercing out when I got pregnant, even although there are flexible pregnancy bars available. It just felt like time.

In a related note, no piercer or tattoo artist should agree to perform any kind of body modification while you are pregnant.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment